We help our students thrive.
Join our team and make a difference. Throughout our campus, we collaborate to achieve successful student outcomes.
Our full-time positions come with an excellent benefits package which includes:
- Affordable health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Paid leave
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Professional development, including tuition reimbursement
Staff and faculty also enjoy:
- Easy commutes from the Omaha/Council Bluffs metropolitan area
- Affordable living in Iowa (Fourth most affordable state, according to US News & World Report, 2021)
- Beautiful school campus, walking trail
- Countless cultural, recreational and entertainment opportunities in the metro area (population nearly one million, according to the City of Omaha website)
Common Job Requirements
Whether there is a current opening or not, there is great demand for skilled professionals working in the field of deaf education. Here are some common jobs and associated requirements at ISD.
Teachers of the Deaf
This position requires a regular classroom teaching license (such as elementary education or secondary education with a subject area endorsement) as well as the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (D/HH) endorsement. Information on Iowa’s teaching licenses and the application process to get an Iowa teaching license can be found at: http://www.boee.iowa.gov. The website: www.deafed.net lists many deaf education preparation programs in the US.
Interpreters at ISD facilitate communication on campus and work to ensure students’ successful integration into mainstream programs. Information about interpreter licensure can be found at: https://idph.iowa.gov/Licensure/Iowa-Board-of-Sign-Language-Interpreters-and-Transliterators
School assistants (paraeducators) primarily work one-on-one with multi-disabled students. It is preferred that applicants have Iowa Paraeducator Certification and the ability to effectively communicate in ASL. Information about paraeducator preparation programs can be found at: https://educateiowa.gov/pk-12/learner-supports/paraeducators.