It seems we can't find what you're looking for. Perhaps searching can help.
Bobcat Football Field
Since 1921, football has been a tradition at Iowa School for the Deaf. ISD Bobcats play late weekday afternoons or Saturdays against local junior varsity teams and Great Plains Schools for the Deaf varsity teams. Go ‘Cats!
Click here for the description in ASL.
Lied Multipurpose Complex
Opened in 2002, this was the first new construction on campus in more than 50 years. Health and physical education classes take place here. In addition to the main gym, which has seating for 1,000, this 58,000-square-foot facility has a 115,000-gallon swimming pool, community rooms, racquetball courts, and fitness areas.
Male students board in the administration building’s west wing. Floors divide the boys by age. Residential counselors and houseparents help with homework, encourage calls home, and plan learning, social and service activities for the boys. Boys typically have rooms to themselves. Videophone and computer stations are in the floor lounge areas.
This is the site of the first building on campus when the school was moved from Iowa City in 1870. At the time, the building was a dorm, dining room, staff living quarters, chapel and administration. (There was a separate school building on campus.) This building has experienced four fires and a tornado (but nothing devastating since 1903!). Currently, it houses the ISD Museum, auditorium, cafeteria, teen center, boys dorm, and the school’s central administration offices.
ISD cafeteria staff work closely with dietitians and federal programs to ensure their offerings meet stringent nutrition guidelines and the preferences of the pickiest eater! Every child is encouraged to try samplings from all food groups. Occasional food fairs are held to introduce students to new dishes as well as to reinforce the importance of a healthy diet.
The ornate auditorium is often home to prom, the school carnival (Celebrate ISD), and other special presentations needing to seat a larger audience. When not in use, its convenient location next to the Teen Center makes it a popular nine-square attraction!
Need tips on germination or transplanting? Check with a student who has worked in the greenhouse! The structure was dedicated in 2001 in memory of Adam Leitch, a former middle school student, who loved the outdoors. The greenhouse was made possible by donations from Adam’s family.
Some school officials are required to live on ISD’s campus. Other campus houses and apartments may be occupied by ISD staff who rent the units.
The fleet garage holds ISD’s vehicles. Every weekend (weather permitting), students are transported to their hometowns across Iowa and Nebraska. This event operates so efficiently that the average time between school day’s end and the last bus to leave campus is less than 15 minutes. Labor for the original part of this 1941 structure was furnished under the Work Progress Administration.
This is headquarters for the groundskeepers and was built in 1984. The staff are also responsible for maintaining ISD’s fleet vehicles.
ISD was once a self-sufficient entity, complete with a dairy herd. This 1935 barn initially housed calves and became the cattle barn when the dairy barn burned in 1944. After its farming life, the building has been used as a teen center and now stores various grounds equipment.
Students gain hands-on work experience in metals technology and woods classes at this building. The 4PLUS transition (to work or college) student center is located on the second floor. The central and south wings were built in 1950; the north wing addition was constructed in 1980.
This building was completed in 1956 and contains the campus boilers and utility access points. Powerhouse staff are on campus round the clock whenever students are here, too. In addition to keeping utilities running, they respond to emergency alarms and provide extra security. They’ve also been known to attend to the simple, albeit critical, needs on campus (such as fixing a student’s bicycle).
Opened in 1959, this building houses preschool and elementary grades, with lower grades on the bottom floor and upper grades on the second floor. A computer lab, library, and kitchen are also inside.
ISD’s Outreach Department is housed in the former infirmary. Programming focuses around five areas: family resources, extended learning, literacy resources, language resources and assessments. Long before this area was renovated for Outreach, it served as ISD’s own hospital. Tonsillectomies were even performed on campus! This building opened in 1938.
This facility is used as an extra physical education facility for younger students. It also serves as a multipurpose activity area and an extra practice gym. Most of our matches, tournaments, and physical education are now held at the Lied Multipurpose Complex.
A modern science center featuring two classrooms, two labs, and plenty of storage, opened in the fall of 2010. The space previously contained a swimming pool and locker rooms and was renovated to provide an accessible environment. Private donations from individuals, foundations, and businesses made the $1.5 million project possible.
J. Schuyler Long Hall/High School
Opened in 1929, this building offers three stories of classrooms with most rooms being used on the second floor. A library, student meeting room, and computer lab are under this roof. The Long Hall Science Center, which opened in 2010, is also connected to the building.
Registered nurses working 24 hours a day have all the students’ healthcare needs covered! From bandages to flu shots, nurses provide tender loving care and keep parents informed about the health of their children. When students are ill, they are cared for in the health center until they are ready for classes again.
A large kitchen with double appliances is featured on the main floor. Student lounges are on each floor, containing computer and videophone relay access. Usually, students have rooms to themselves. The building opened in 1963; the north wing was added in 1975.
Nearly 60 school districts are served through the Green Hills Area Education Agency, one of nine such organizations in Iowa. Green Hills is an intermediate unit providing educational services to local schools. One of Green Hills’ soundproof hearing testing booths is on the campus of ISD.
Housed on the second floor of Administration Building’s east wing, each room reflects a decade of history at ISD. Free admission; open by appointment, 712.366.0571.
After homework and sports activities but before bed, a flurry of interaction takes place among students at the Teen Center! This modern space has a pool table, comfy couches, a big screen TV, and its own snack bar.